I was hungry. I got home late. Priorities first: feed the cat. She got a few bits of raw chicken. I got a chickpea curry with whatever I had in the house, garden or growing on my kitchen windowsill, in ten minutes.
- A tin of chickpeas
- Jalfrezi curry paste
- Thick yogurt
- Greens: kale, pak choi, spinach, char
- Something to fry up eg small diced celery or spring onion
- Put a wok on high heat, add oil of your choice, fry the celery or spring onion
- When that is sizzling, add the greens, raw, and cook until they have wilted (probably five minutes)
- In a bowl, blend a tablespoonful of curry paste with a couple of tablespoons-ful of yogurt, so it’s thick but not solid
- Add the chickpeas (though I confess, I may have put the chickpeas in first)
- Turn down the heat a bit and add the sauce, cook for five minutes or so. Add lemon juice for some spark, and salt if you want. Devour.